Tuesday, September 03, 2013

cucumbers with dill

When I was growing up we were routinely given pickles in the fall from our neighbors down the street. Depending on where the various family members were in the canning line could give you varying degrees of spiciness. There was always at least one little hot red chili in the jar, those pickles were yummy.  
 As an adult I have a hard time finding delicious, crunchy pickles from large famous brand names. I never honestly thought that I would make my own. I am not a canning person. I don't own the equipment, nor do I want too. Then I saw a friend was posting a question on Facebook about having an overabundance of cucumbers and she was asking what to do with them. Another one of her friends posted a pickle recipe
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash pepper
2 medium cucumbers
2 tablespoons fresh dill

Combine vinegar, sugar, water, salt and pepper in a saucepan. While you bring it to a boil, use a vegetable peeler or sharp knife to remove strips of peel lengthwise from cucumbers, leaving alternate strips of peel intact. Slice cucumbers and place in bowl. Add vinegar mixture. Sprinkle with dill. Toss gently. Cover and chill at least two hours. Add memories and enjoy.
Yesterday I sliced up some actual pickling cucumbers to try out my hand at pickles. The result was quite good. The longer they sit, the tastier they become. I bet you could chop up the cucumbers smaller and make your very own dill relish too.

No comments: