Thursday, December 13, 2012

Holiday Baking~ spreading cheer

I've been baking holiday cookies on my own since I was about 14 yrs old. My parents decided that I should bake dozens upon dozens of cookies for their work colleagues, friends and family I spent hours in the kitchen from morning to night, baking batch after batch.
 It really was taxing and time consuming. I got no thanks from my parents, just demands for more. It seriously felt like slave labor at times. Once I moved out of the house I gave up baking Christmas cookies for a bit because it really was obnoxious in my mind. 
 Of course I started baking again, but on my own terms. I don't mind the baking of various cookies. You get into a zone and it's all good.
 This year has come and I am actually going to hold off from most the baking until January. There are just too many other things to do and I don't need to stress myself out over cookies.
 Something happened to me yesterday and I suddenly found myself whipping up a batch of sugar cookies. I picked out a few cookie cutter shapes and away we went. 
 I stood there looking at the baked cookies trying to wrap my head around decorating them. Honestly, decorating sugar cookies has got to be one of my least favorite activities. This morning I greeted the task head on.
With each cookie I became more and more grumpy. I know these cookies will put smiles on people's faces but next time I think I'll leave the icing up to someone else. 

No comments: