Thursday, June 28, 2012

Saying Good-Bye to Nora




On Tuesday , June 26th, the world lost Nora Ephron, a writer, journalist and film director (just to name a few of her talents). I grew up with her, she was always there somewhere in the fabric of my life. In my brain I created a fun day dream of being able to meet her some day. Whether it was hearing her speak or being at a dinner party with her. I've read some of her books and it is as if she is sitting right there and talking to you. A talent many writers do not posses. As I started reading the tributes pouring in from various famous people who had the honor of knowing her I started to realize how much influence she had on my younger self. And by the time I read Rita Wilson's article I was crying. Ms. Wilson was writing about the Nora, I had always wanted to meet and reminding us all about how fantastic she was. The fact that this adult woman was willing to be open and honest about her feelings, and the character's she created made me admire her more.

"Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel , I hope you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women."- Nora Ephron

Good-bye Nora, there is now a giant hole in the world since you left us. I hope there are some other talented women out there who rise up and follow in your honest and truthful footsteps. Thank-you for all that you gave us. 

No comments: