Friday, December 02, 2011

When you think of pesto, what comes to mind?

When I think of pesto these things come to mind: sunny summer day, green basil leaves, toasted pine nuts, a very nice extra virgin olive oil, some garlic and of course Parmesan cheese. After that I of course think of a nice simple pasta, an easy to drink red wine and Italy. I have made dozens of little batches of pesto over the years, it is after all quite simple to make. This summer I tried a trick to keep the pesto green longer- I blanched my basil leaves for like a minute in boiling water. The pesto didn't turn brown even when exposed to air.
 Tonight was a crazy night. And so we needed a quick dinner, as it was getting late and we were starving. Take out would have taken ten times as long to wait for. I pulled this jar out of the cupboard and turned on some water to boil. I think I picked this up at Cost Plus. As you can see from the top of the jar, it is trying to imply that in fact this product is Italian. I flipped the jar over, almost as a reflex and this is what I saw:
Can you see that world? It says that it is a product of Peru! What the hell? And the ingredients? That is another crazy thing. First listed is basil, good because after all that is the main ingredient. Then it goes downhill from there, with things like sunflower oil, potato starch, chestnut puree...I am not kidding. Maybe we should leave the pesto making up to people who know what they are doing. I am pretty sure many people would be offended by this product, it certainly should not be called pesto

No comments: