Tuesday, July 05, 2011

A complaint about complaining

Many moons ago when I was younger and had no children I use to enjoy reading the "Rant and Rave" column in the Sunday paper. Then I started to notice a trend, there seemed to be more rants then raves all of a sudden. In fact it now seems acceptable and common place for people to complain about anything and everything under the sun. It is as if people have forgotten how to be happy. There really is no joy anymore in the simple things of life. If you step out of your comfortable world just for one minute and land in a third world country where houses are made out of concrete blocks and have hammered down tin roofs, you might realize that in your every day first world existence you have NOTHING to complain about.

I try my hardest not to complain because I know how lucky I am. On facebook people complain in their statuses about various injustices and on Twitter they tweet their complaints too. I tell you it gets old, especially if these complaints are about things that are about things that they all take for granted.

Being a mother of  a special needs child I have to deal with things that most people will never have to deal with. I don't wish my normal every day things on everybody but I do wish they would all just shut up and get a clue. What you might see as an injustice at the moment actually is just an easy inconvenience that will be over shortly and then you can go on back to your routine.

It is currently summer in the northern hemisphere which means travel. Whether it be by plane, train, car or boat people are out making the most of their summers. People are cramming themselves in with all their belongings to cramped storage spaces for these trips. Sure this is a pain but now try and imagine it with a special needs person.

If they don't walk well, then they have a walker or a wheelchair. Can they eat solid foods? Many can not. So, that means you have to carry pureed foods with you. What about the bathroom? If they are not control of their bodily functions (which many are not) then you need to carry the right amount of correctly sized  diapers (that have to be specially ordered). It also means you have to plot and plan how to use a tiny airplane bathroom to change those diapers on a bigger person. Then there is medical equipment they might need on a regular routine basis. Going through security is always fun too. TSA agents pat down your special needs child, test their shoes and wheels for any weird illegal substances, etc..

Feel like complaining now? I thought not. I could go on and on. This is all normal now to me. Is it a pain in the butt? Sometimes, but it is life, I deal with it. There is no need to complain.

No comments: