Monday, May 02, 2011

The Osama feeding frenzy

‎"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.

 Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that."

- Martin Luther King Jr


Last night I received a text from one of my friends: Osama is dead turn on your TV. As we watched Obama speak about Osama Bin Laden being killed in a raid. I had tears come to my eyes. Those tears were for all the people who lost their lives on September 11th and over the last ten years that it has taken to capture that man. I did not feel the need to party or send up fireworks like all the rest of my fellow Americans.


Instead I felt rather like the opposite. I am not into blood lust. In fact the double standards this country has around when a leader of a major political group or country is killed fascinates me. If the Untied States government happens to kill a leader it is a heroic occurrence. However if a country manages to kill a leader they are then deemed criminals. In fact many of the first world countries will over look all the war crimes the Untied States has committed over the years if a leader they have all agreed upon as being uppity is ousted or killed.


Don't get me wrong, I am pretty sure from the most secure prison cell Osama Bin Laden would have been able to communicate with his various groups and keep them up to no good. What I am saying though is we should not be celebrating this death as if we've just killed the wicked witch of the west in "The Wizard of Oz". 


There are still other radical groups in the world who would love nothing better then to create another Sept 11th for this country of ours. Be very careful what you wish for. Who's to say there isn't another charismatic leader out there with some diabolical ideas of their own?


As you go about your daily lives remember the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr quote I have at the top of this blog. An eye for an eye doesn't solve any problems in reality, it just means you're missing an eye.


it would seem I am not alone in my sentiments: http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/05/02/osama_and_chants_of_usa

No comments: