Monday, May 16, 2011

and the next step would be? My first screenplay

I have always been a writer. I have found pleasure in picking up a pen and putting it to paper. There have been a few times in my life when I haven't written and it has felt weird. This of course is why I decided to blog. You can take me out of the work force but you cannot take the need to create away from me.


I had an epiphany a few weeks ago about becoming a screen writer. I really enjoy watching films, so why not? The beauty of becoming a screen writer is that I can do it now. My hours are weird thanks to being a stay at home mother. Which means holding down any sort of job outside the house is currently out of the question. Can you imagine a boss letting me skip out on work to take one of my kids to a swimming lesson or running off to school to pick one up? I think not. If you are a worker at a place a business you need to be able to work there for your allotted time without to many outside obligations. 


I currently have 4 books about screen writing that I am working my way through. I have to say some of it is rather dry reading. The examples of one screenplay in my current book are so incredibly bad I can't help my need to skip over these sections. I don't and instead muddle through them. Plus this author's  ideas about what makes most movies plausible is a bit out dated. He doesn't seem to be a big fan of science fiction or magical situations either. Not that I am writing in that genere but I know the audience can make those leaps of faith if the story is well written. 


Last week I typed up a character outline for my screen play. And yesterday I wrote my first 9 pages of actual script. It felt really good to actually start writing. I know the dialogue is mostly crap though. This of course is what revisions are for. If I don't ever start then I will get no where, right?


I have to figure out how to get my hands on the correct software for my computer. I am not quite ready to shell out $179 for it. I think I am going to fudge it right now with some templates for Word. Hollywood is very particular on how they receive scripts and what format they should be typed in.


Once I have a finished screen play, then what? I think I will have to reach out to all those random people I know who work in the business. I don't expect any miracles here. There are many screen plays floating around in purgatory that have been put into "development" and then gone no where. My hope is for a small independent movie. I don't have any grand plans for a blockbuster just yet.

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

Good luck in your venture!

Luna Indigo said...

thank you. it will be super tough but I think I can, I think I can...