Sunday, March 13, 2011

would you sign this form?

The following is on a form we have to sign for my son to participate in a preschool. Neither my husband or I have signed it yet because of the language it uses.


IN CONSIDERATION of my minor child (―the Minor‖) being permitted to participate in any way in the EVENT(S), I agree:
I know the nature of the EVENT(S) and the Minor’s experience and capabilities, and believe the Minor to be qualified to participate in the Event(s). The Minor and I will inspect the premises, facilities, and equipment to be used or with which the Minor may come in contact to ensure it is safe to our satisfaction. I have spoken with the Minor about the dangers of the activities and the fact that the Minor could—for a variety of known, unknown, foreseeable and unforeseeable reasons, including negligence of the City of Seattle, its employees and volunteers, officers and agents—be seriously injured. In extreme cases, such injuries could include permanent disability, paralysis or even death (―risks‖). Even understanding these risks I consent to the Minor’s participation in the Event(s) and assert that the Minor is willing to participate in the event.
I accept and assume all risks, and assume all responsibility for the losses, costs and/or damages following an injury related to the Event(s), including disability, paralysis or death, even if caused in whole or in part by the negligence of the following releasees: the City of Seattle, its employees and volunteers, officers and agents. My acceptance of these risks includes releasing and agreeing not to sue the releasees. I also agree to indemnify and save and hold harmless the releasees and each of them from any and all litigation expenses, attorney fees, loss, liability, damage, or cost they may incur due to a claim made against any of the releasees identified above based on an injury to the Minor, whether the claim is based on the negligence of the releasees or otherwise and whether the claim is made by me, is made on behalf of the minor, or is otherwise made.


As a parent would you give up the right to sue someone even if they were completely negligent? Would you waive all your rights? Even if the adults running this program are highly qualified it doesn't mean mistakes can't be made. I also know that in general nothing usually goes wrong but come on. (can I also just say I like that in a legal form they have misspellings?)

No comments: