Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Dreaded Time Change

I dread daylight savings time every spring and fall. It used to be that I just had to deal with it as an individual but now as a parent it is a whole different story. Children don't know the time has changed suddenly. All they know is mom or dad is suddenly try to tell them their bedtime is not when it should be.

My family did fine on the first day. We all managed to sleep to a normal hour on sunday morning, without any problems. Sunday night came along though and that's when the difficulties arose. Two of the children went to bed without too much fuss (thank you no nap!). The third would not go to bed no matter how tired she was. Every time we tried to put her in bed she would make a fuss and want to play. Part of her problem is that she was coming down with her brother's cold but the other part was of course the time change. She didn't end up going to bed until about 11 PM and then she was up before 6 AM.

I had my own problems. As I have written in past blogs, I already have problems sleeping. Sunday night was horrible. My body was exhausted and yet I didn't sleep soundly or long. I was up around 1:30 AM because my oldest was up. I went back to sleep and was up again. This time from 3 AM to 6 AM. I just laid there in the dark wondering why on earth I was awake listening to the wind howl through the trees. When my youngest got up at 6, I took her from my husband and went back to bed. She and I managed to wake up around 8 AM (of course I also woke up at 7).

Monday in our household was pretty miserable. Thankfully we all managed to get to bed early last night. And while I was in bed and asleep by 10:15 PM, only waking up once during the night. 7 AM still felt like 6 AM this morning. I am sure though by having a nice solid night's sleep we will all do better today.

I can't help but think that as a world maybe we should make a group decision to stop observing daylight savings. The sun will still come up every day, it will get lighter later and stay light later even if we stay on the proper time. We can't stop that, at least I hope we can't! Hawaii and Arizona have the right idea here folks. We should follow their example.

No comments: