Tuesday, March 01, 2011

the ailment

Since I was about 14 years old I have randomly gotten this crazy rash while on vacation. No doctor could ever tell me what it was because by the time I actually made into the doctor's office it of course was gone. Sometimes this rash is barely there, other times if covers my chest , arms and hands. It can itch too. The problem with itching it is this; you scratch it and suddenly searing pain erupts from the rash.
My youngest suddenly started to develop this rash last summer. It doesn't seem to bother her too much but it does first come out on her cheeks. She got it while on Kauai recently. Add a nasty mosquito bite to her eyelid and she looked like she had been in a very bad fight. We took her to a local clinic that actually held Saturday hours and the doctor diagnosed this crazy rash. It is Polymorphous light eruption or PLE as it is called by people in the know. It is good to know that I am allergic to the sun and need to actually expose my skin to it in small increments throughout the year to avoid it. It would seem that I was actually doing myself a huge favor by working in the Pacific Science Center's Tropical Butterfly House. Who knew?

No comments: