Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Lemon Cake, very pretty...

Do I have your attention yet? Mouthwatering? Can you almost taste the perfect lemon cream cheese frosting?  Let me stop you before you ask me for my recipe. This cake is a failure in my eyes. Yes, the frosting actually was perfect so in that respect I did well. The cake though...that's a completely different story. 
While I was in Specialty Desserts and Breads, I could make anything. I only failed once with my snicker doodles. I somehow miss measured the cream of tater and I created rocks. I have never baked another bad snicker doodle.  
Over the last couple of years I have noticed that my yellow and white cakes have been declining. This one tops the list. After the initial lovely lemon frosting taste, you suddenly feel like you have a mouth full of citrus rinds. That weird texture inundates your mouth.
For the life of me, I have yet to figure out what I am doing wrong. I have used different recipes, and tried different techniques. Instead of learning and getting better, I keep getting worse and worse. I even ordered cake flour to see if in fact there is something leading me astray in that area. 
My skills have not left me in the chocolate cake area. And so I am quite perplexed.
Is it too much to ask that I actually make a light and fluffy white cake for once?

No comments: