Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Got to get my blood pumping

Exercise is good for us, or so say the "experts". For as long as I can remember I have had a horrible time going to sleep at night. As a child it would take me well over an hour to go to sleep most nights, the only way I know this is because I would hit the snooze button on my clock radio and it would turn off after an hour. In high school I never thought about it but between my walking downtown from school to catch a bus home and my sports games I probably got enough exercise to make going to bed a bit easier. In college once I started aerobics classes I began sleeping better too. The key here is getting myself enough exercise to fall asleep in under an hour. According to some study it is only supposed to take a person on average about 10-15 minutes to fall asleep. I know my husband can fall asleep in about a minute and I am so jealous! My choice of exercise over the years has been walking. I have walked some great distances without realizing it too. While I lived on the east coast I rode my bike most places. I loved how flat it was! While we lived down at Lock Vista for our remodel, we took really long walks. It was either that or walking in circles which can be rather boring. The rain has settled in for the winter here in Seattle and I really don't get out as much as I should. After Sam was born I got myself a used exercise bike to help me combat my laziness and the need for exercise. That silly thing is older then me but it still works great! Over the weekend I pulled my bike out of the basement and put it in my bedroom. I've done 15 to 20 minutes every day since it came up. The weird thing now is that my sleeping has gotten worse. I am woken up at least twice a night to feed my youngest, my body is already exhausted and yet it is making it once again nearly impossible to sleep! I hope it works it all out soon, otherwise I am going to take a sleeping pill and I know that can't be good for a breastfeeding baby!

No comments: