Monday, February 18, 2008

A tale of pie


As some of you know I love to bake and I usually stick to areas of baking that I know well. A couple of weeks ago I started to want pie because I thought it would be fun to go sit down at Lulu's (from the movie Waitress) and order a piece of wonderful pie. I then forgot about my craving and have baked cookies and brownies instead. Then late last week I happened across a local chef on public television who was making pie and it renewed my creative juices. On saturday I embarked on a new pie recipe but of course I didn't follow the recipe to the letter. I instead created my very own version of it. The results have proved extremely yummy and now of course I have ideas for other pies.
I came up with chocolate coconut cream pie with a macadamia nut crust. I am not one who usually likes coconut in things, in fact in many commercially made baked goods I find it over used in the wrong things. In my pie I made sure to use unsweetened coconut which worked wonderfully and did not make an overly sweet pie.

No comments: